Thursday, April 8, 2010

HARVEST TIME



These two photos have one word captions: "Potatoes" (with the team of horses) and "Onions."

The comment I read somewhere about the difference between a peasant and a farmer being related to the use of farm machinery has stuck with me. The point was in part that farmers with machinery soon became inventors as they repaired and perfected their contraptions. Surely this was true of the Strachans. Notice even something so subtle as the clothes of the man on the potato digger with a 3-horse team (maybe Glenn) who sits up high, compared with the bib overalls of my father with his hands full of onions. Later in life I never saw my father in bib overalls, though my uncles in Oregon wore them. There's even a difference in the sort of hats.

No comments:

Post a Comment